Monday, September 17, 2007

Stacks of Memories

PROMPT: library memories

RESPONSE:
How do I remember libraries? I will write about a few. The Renton (Washington) Public Library, my growing up library, was built over the Cedar River on cement pillars. Was this to symbolize the bridge over troubled waters? The Cook Library at the University of Southern Mississippi was small when I first moved to Hattiesburg, but then was built huge brick beautiful. When it was small and I was and expecting my first child, I stacked up bound journals on a table to rest my head on so I could nap without having to slump over my own abdomen. Another library memory was from the Purvis (Mississippi) Public Library. I tried to take my son there on Confederate Memorial Day, but it was closed--he put his body to the ground and cried.

No comments: